Monday, August 19, 2013
By Jessi Pierce
@jessi_pierce on Twitter
Just another reminder that Big Ten hockey is here. This was spotted at Goldy's Locker Room, the only Big Ten hockey swag I have seen since the announcement.
The shirt looks sharp in black and is definitely a way to try get Gopher fans on board before October with the B1G logo very dominating and hard to miss...(foreshadowing?)
Online, the Big Ten hockey section currently only offers a Michigan NCAA championship DVD in its store, but we anticipate plenty in coming weeks, or maybe even more during Big Ten hockey media day in September.
But we want to see what else the Big Ten is going to roll out. Have you seen any apparel on campus or at your college stores? Send them to email@example.com or let us know what you'd think. Does a conference need to have specific sport apparel?
Dear Big Ten,
We understand we can't stop what's about to happen to college hockey, just as long as you understand you forever changed the college hockey landscape, and change isn't always the easiest.
As long time fans devoted to our Michigans, Minnesotas and Wisconsins, we feel there are some things you should be aware of, being you guys are now in most likely unfamiliar territory on a rink instead of a basketball court or football field.
1. We aren't your biggest fans right now -- You can try sell us on how this is better for the sport of hockey on the collegiate level as a whole but the majority of us know that is a crock of soft ice shit. It's about money. We recognize that but in the process you removed us from beloved rivals and conferences that we have known and loved for years.
2. You have a lot to live up to -- As we mentioned in the first note, the CCHA and WCHA are what we have known. Fox Sports North, Fox College Sports Channel and CBSC all adequately gave us plenty of hockey coverage. Admittedly you guys have been trying in the lead up, but you should know, we are going to expect a lot in the wake of taking over. Truthfully we can never get enough college hockey coverage, so pour it on we will eat it up.
3. We're pretty hardcore fans. Every college sport has "their thing" be it tailgating in football or big heads in basketball, hockey has their chirping. It's true, us fans tend to hammer on opposing teams, complete with chants directed at the goaltender and more often than not, cursing is a large part of it. For those unfamiliar with this, it can be a bit of a shock, but rest assured it's just in good -- maybe not so clean -- fun.
4. Make sure you know the rules. The majority of us have been following hockey like our religion. We tend to know the rules like the back of our hand and will be sure to call you out on them if you don't.
5. We will eventually come around. Let's face it, we have no choice. And as you will quickly find, hockey fans are among the most passionate fans around.
Badger/Spartan/Nittany Lions/Buckeye/Gopher/Wolverine ice fans